The traditional way. Our style. Our way.

Evolution - Eyes, Nose & Face

I'm going to compare my drawings from when I first started to how I do now. It's a good idea to keep your old works so you can compare recent and current developments. It's easier to see the differences with frequent practice. As for me, I do it a lot in the first few years.

Let's start with the eyes.

Since I still can't find the very first drawings I did, I'm going to use the ones I've doodled around the same time and some of my sister's old ones.




Notice that the eyelashes are drawn singularly. We didn't pay much attention to details except to getting the face done right-- leveled eyes, nose centered, mouth aligned, etc.

Unless colored, the eyes are hardly noticeable.

Its in the human brain to recognize the head and would naturally assumed it comes with a face.

The detailed eyes came just a few months later. We doodled them on anything a pen or pencil can write on. They're especially prominent in our text books and test papers... and exam papers, but we never got those back.^^;

Mostly, the eyes we practiced were influenced greatly by Sailormoon and Fushigi Yuugi, until we tried doing them on our own without reference.


Above images were doodled on scratch papers. The ones that looked alright we kept, those that didn't resemble anything like an eye we threw away.

Along with those eye doodles we also included the nose and sometimes the mouth to practice the different angles.


The above nose and mouth doodles were done much later. For the earlier nose and mouths we've done, refer to the first few images posted together with the eyes.

Also, try practicing to draw the eyes you got used to with different expressions. That way you can familiarize with it.

The eye details depend on what style of drawing I do. Then again, my current style for them varies depending on what it is I draw. I adapt the features into the character to best suit them.


And... not all my characters are entirely human...


When it comes to adding character to a character pay attention to their features. The eyes are the parts of the face that gives distinction to your character. They are the important assets that can draw attention--- unless they come with F-cup size boobs then that's another story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

BloodyBerry's Drawing Blog Design by Insight © 2009