The traditional way. Our style. Our way.

Evolution - Wings

The wings... difficult as they look, they're actually quite easy to draw once you know the basic points on how to do them right.

To quote my sister, "Wings have joints, how else would they bend when they're being tucked at the back?"

For sure wings can't just stay spread out all the time, right? So I finally noticed that they bend in certain areas at length... especially on which part of the back they're supposedly attached to.

And she showed them to me by actually making me observe figurines in malls. She even nearly bought one about 15" inches tall just so I'd have a constant reminder on how they're supposed to look like.

Where was I supposed to put it?

Good thing I managed to dissuade her. Though, there were several attempts of trying to purchase other figurines with different wings afterward. XD

If there had been a dragon kind I would have been easily persuaded but those things didn't appear to the public until a few years later, where we could both learn self-control--- and splurge on drawing materials instead.

To start off, my first attempt at drawing wings weren't up to par. They resembled elementary school level grass than feathers.

This one started out when I saw my sister drawing a half-angel, half-demon character. I thought it was interesting and started doodling on my own, and it was on the back of my Math text book. Good thing the last pages weren't included in class.

I was at the point of drawing the wings when I realized I had no idea what they're supposed to look like... or how you draw them at all.

My sister wouldn't show me what she did so I had to do them on my own basing on some pics I saw from Angel Sanctuary which inspired us to create wings. My sister also referred to Ah! My Goddess.

I should have had done the same too, but one look at the wings, I chose the easiest way to do it.

What can I say? Details were something I avoided when I first started drawing. I wanted it done as soon as possible, not to dally on just one work for the whole day.

The wings weren't as impressive as I thought when done my way.


It was around this time when my sister decided to quit drawing and focused on me to improve on mine.

There were several arguments along the way, but (this would be the first and the last time I will admit) her bossiness helped in keeping my referential in check. If she had let me get my way I would have just easily given up without trying.

Before I came to realize about the said joints, they came out stiff. I at least got the facts that the squiggly-grass things I used to do were supposed to resemble feathers. The so-called feathers came out this way as I still wasn't familiar on their flow.


By bending and drawing them in curves added a sort of, as the saying goes "light as a feather" effect. In my way, I drew lesser feathers since the more I put in made it look thick. I had to practice on them by trying to randomly doodle on scratch papers.


And below are the later outcomes when I finally got used to drawing wings.



Eventually I strayed from angels wings onto other versions as well. They're actually quite fun to draw.


Now... to practice on trees... I suck at backgrounds. My perspectives are distorted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

BloodyBerry's Drawing Blog Design by Insight © 2009